In 1998, John Stericker literally stumbled across flatmate.com. When a close friend put a shout-out looking for a room, John typed flatmate.com into Netscape Navigator (it was 1998 after all) in the hope that he could help his friend out. Seeing the domain name had not been registered, he bought it on the spot. Now 18 years later, he says the destiny for the website has called out to him, and he's determined more than ever to see it through.
Living in share houses in Sydney's Kings Cross for 15 years, John would see the extreme ends of the housing spectrum. As street kids hustled on the corner outside his window, fancy SUVs would drive past dropping the more fortunate children to the private school up the road.
It took John to have kids of his own to fully appreciate what he had already achieved in life, but more importantly, he began to think of the legacy he wanted to leave for his own kids. It was this light bulb moment that lead John to decide that flatmate.com would be a voice for the street.
John has worked the corporate life in parallel to honing his vision for flatmate.com. Not regretting why the site has never really taken off earlier, he has accepted that it was only a matter of time for the true calling of flatmate.com to come to light.
flatmate.com and Homeless charity StreetSmart have agreed to a partnership, with flatmate.com providing financial support to StreetSmart. Every paid subscription on our site will see 50% of that subscription donated to assist grassroots homelessness projects that StreetSmart funds. For more information, please visit the article on our blog.
A major redevelopment commenced in October 2011 (with the help of Andrey Inkin), with the whole website and database being built from the ground up. Now in 2016, we present a fresh new look!
- flatmate.com is an online service that connects like-minded people for the purposes of share and long-term rental accommodation
- flatmate.com has been in operation as a global online service since November 1998
- flatmate.com is a dedicated website aimed at helping you find a suitable flatmate, or suitable accommodation if you are looking for somewhere to live, or maybe even a short stay
- With flatmate.com, it's free to post an ad and make contact with other advertisers.
If you wish to use the custom messaging feature, it's AU$5 a week, cancel at any time. Visit our Pricing page or our How it works page for more information.
Lifestyle and Social
We also have an informative blog at flatmate.tv, and you can find us on social media-
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/flatmateTV/
- Twitter - https://twitter.com/flatmateTV
Thanks for dropping by.
The article displayed is from street press in Sydney, November 2000